Practice Areas:Mergers & Acquisitions
Energy, Oil, & Gas
Real Estate & Land Use
Agriculture & Farming
Business & Transactions
- Univ. of Cal., Hastings Coll. of the Law, J.D. 1987
- Univ. of the Pac., B.S., Finance (cum laude), 1984
- Prior Member, UCC Comm. of the Bus.
- Sec. of the State Bar of Cal.
- State Bar of Cal., 1987
- U.S. Ct. of App., 9th Cir.
- U.S. Dist. Ct, E.D. of Cal.
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N.D. of Cal.
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S.D. of Cal.
- Kern Cty. Bar Assoc.
Mr. Melton joined the firm’s Business Department immediately after becoming a lawyer in 1987, and became a partner in 1993. He has extensive experience in both simple and complex business, commercial, construction, corporate and real property issues, matters, and transactions. Mr. Melton has developed a well-founded reputation for providing practical and sound advice is order to meet the needs of his clients.
With over twenty years of experience, Mr. Melton handles a broad range of transactional matters, including acquisition, financing and lease transactions representing developers, buyers, sellers, borrowers, lenders, lessors and lessees. His experience also extends to a wide variety of business matters, including corporate restructurings, debt transactions, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances and venture capital investments. Mr. Melton’s practice additionally includes advising companies with respect to general corporate matters.
Mr. Melton has executed over $300 Million in transactions in recent years. Recent representative complex transactions include:
- Numerous leases, purchases and sales of agricultural, commercial and industrial real property of various types; such as:
- The purchase of one of Bakerfield’s premier fully-leased, three-store commercial office buildings in excess of $13,000,000.
- The sale of agricultural real property of a number of farming companies to developers in excess of $75,000,000.00.
- Numerous purchases and sales of assets or stocks of various types of companies, such as:
- The purchase of the local assets of a national full-service nursery and rose cultivar company, including, but not limited to, agricultural and industrial real property and rose farming and processing equipment, in excess of $25,000,000.
- The sale of assets of the drilling, workover, maintenance and production work using rigs, cranes and hoisting equipment business in excess of $40,000,000.
- Assisted in the sale of stock of a large agri-business company in excess of $900,000,000.
- Assisted in the creation and launch of a local commercial bank licensed by the California Department of Financial Institutions.
- Assisted in the corporate restructuring of several large businesses closely-held, family businesses in order to successfully address internal issues.
Mr. Melton is rated as a “BV” lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell. He previously served upon the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the Business Section of the State Bar of California. Mr. Melton also occasionally is a lecturer and guest speaker upon business and commercial law matters.
Mr. Melton received a Bachelor of Science in Finance, cum laude, degree from the University of the Pacific in 1984. During the summer of 1986, he was a Judicial Extern for the Honorable William R. Channel, then –Judge of the California Court of Appeals for the First District. Mr. Melton then received a Juris Doctorate from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law, in 1987.
Mr. Melton was born in Bakersfield, California, on April 29, 1962. Mr. Melton attended Bakersfield High School, graduating in 1980. He married his high school sweetheart, Penny, who received a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of the Pacific in 1986. The Meltons have two wonderful children, Alexandria and Andrew. His family has deep roots in the local community dating back to at least the 1920’s, and the Melton Family is proud to call Bakersfield home.